Priyendra Shukla – multi-faceted artist
It feels very tough to verbalize something so non verbal,which brings out the depth of the relationship I share with my art.
Priyendra Shukla – a spontaneous artist!
The closest I can get to express what my words cannot express and to define what my thoughts cannot define, is to try and create a visual replica of my perception, on the rectangular arena of a canvas. On this taut, grainy playground, my subconscious meets the viscous movement of paint, talks to it intimately and together they bring out and concertize the colors of my being. I hope my brushes and colors can talk to you and testify to what I mean.
At what age did you know you wanted to be an artist?
I belong to an Artist family. Since my dad and my elder brother is an artist so picking up art as my field was really smooth.
What is the earliest artwork you did that you can remember?
Since my childhood days I am very fascinated to see faces. So I used to draw portraits a lot.
Which classical or contemporary artists have inspired you?
Rembrandt and Picasso.
How would you describe your artistic style?
When did you first sell an artwork? How did you feel?
I sold a landscape at a very early age. It was such a great feeling and left such a big impact on me that I sold many after that and as a result I never had to ask money from my parents for my art education..
What's your workstyle? Do you work on one piece at a time or work simultaneously on multiple pieces?
I work subconsciously on multiple canvases most of the time.
How do you get the inspiration for a new piece?
I connect and communicate with whatever I draw and try to verbalize and find a meaning in it.
Tell us a bit about your personal life ...
As the moment flashes by, leaving its colour on my being, I try to hold on to it. For these colours fade away with time, pushed back into oblivion by fresh colours of new moments. Such are the workings of the ever changing panorama that is life. I long to internalize the moment and bring it to the realm of the tangible, where I can go back and live it again. But need I tell you, that to do so, is impossible?
So, the closest I can get to express what my words cannot express and to define what my thoughts cannot define, is to try and create a visual replica of my perception, on the rectangular arena of a canvas. On this taut, grainy playground, my subconscious meets the viscous movement of paint, talks to it intimately and together they bring out and concretize the colours of my being. I hope my brushes and colours can talk to you and testify to what I mean.
“If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.” ~ Edward Hopper
A few pieces from Priyendra’s gallery
More about Priyendra Shukla
Shows & Exhibitions
- two man show at dlf aralias in sep 12’.
- participated in united art fair 2012.
- participate in concern india foundation “art for concern” at apparel house epicentre, gurgaon in july, 2012
- group show “a gift of solitude” in ihc visual art gallery in may 2012.
- group show at chemould art gallery kolkatta april 2012.
- group show at gallery art and you in april 2012.
- group show in dlf emporio in march 2012.
- participated in renge art walk dlf in march 2012in dlf golf course.
- concern india foundation “art for concern” at ihc in feb 2012.
- cadd “artist for cadd program” at aliance frannce in feb 2012.
- participated as a guest artist in “nayi udaan” an art camp cum show organized by hotel lalit on independence day 2011 eve.
- group show at apparel house epicentre, gurgaon in april, 2011
- two man show at ihc open palm court in feb 2011.
- group show at shridharani art gallery triveni kala sangam in august 2010.
- group show chitta svarupa anukara at india habitat center visual arts gallery in june 2010
- balti blast show organized by kala care group in 2010.
- group show at aifacs art gallery in 2009.
- group show at uruswati art gallery in 2008.
- participated in 70 years of dhoomimal art gallery at dmg mega art complex in 2007
- participated in past present unto the future contemporary india art exhibition at lalit kala academy rabindra bhawan 2007.
- participated in a group show organized by delhi gymkhana club in 2007
- exhibitions at uruswati art gallery, new delhi, from 1998 to 2005
- participated in furniture library group show in february 2005
- ’till 2000 tomorrow’ international art exhibition organized by: fin-india art society at rabindra bhawan new delhi in 2000.
- ‘man and nature’ group show at centre for contemporary art in 2002
- an inward look’ group show at rabindra bhavan, new delhi, in 1999
- participated in all india graphics exhibition organized by aifacs new delhi in 1998.
- all india exhibition organized by avantika, new delhi in 1998.
- participated south asian fraternity summit at dimapur, nagaland in 1995.
- group show at rabindra bhavan, new delhi, in 1998.
- did a series of painting for sadhguru (isha yoga centre) for mahabharata event.
- art direction for india pavilion in china expo 2010 in shanghai.
- did an 8 meter long series of sketches for naco in vienna.
- designed and directed an animation film for holographic projection in malaysia in 2010.
- did art direction and painted a series of 30 murals for azaadi express train in 2007.
- designed and executed the ambience of bharat utsav 2007 at taalkatora for delhi govt.
- painted a series of 30 portraits for apeejay of shri swaraj paul.
- painted a series of sarees and murals for fashion designer satya paul.