recent artist with a meteoric rise to international stardom
One day I turned on some music and just started to paint. And that was just 4 years back!
I usually use brief lyrical narrative or mottos to describe my artwork. They convey the essence of the work and at the same time leave sufficient latitude for the audience to freely interpret the work.
How did you become an artist?
My background is in biology and I became an artist at a later age. I was yearning for something more powerful and art accomplished that for me. One day I turned on some music and just started to paint. Music has always been a strong inspiration for my art.
Tell us about the earliest work you remember.
It was Summer 2013 and first painting was titled “Dancing Soul”. From that day my new life as an artist started.
Which classical or contemporary artists have inspired you?
I was not influenced by anyone. This art has just come to me naturally. But I do admire Amedeo Clemente Modigliani, Frida Kahlo and Camille Claudel.
How would you describe your artistic style to someone who has not seen your work.
I am a contemporary abstract artist. With the power of colour, I try to capture the beauty of landscapes, light refractions, mysterious fluctuations of water, texture of flowers, and deviational patterns of a moving form.
How did you feel about your first sale?
I felt happy and honored that a small particle of my creation would be on a permanent display in the buyer’s home incessantly radiating warmth and joy of life.
What's the inspiration behind your art?
Nature has always been my inspiration. I love to go to the lake and look at the natural beauty around.
Music is that powerful source of inspiration which includes my profound emotions, plays on the strings of imagination and culminates in a refined creativity of artwork.
More about Gaya Karapetyan
Sonam Dixit, India
“It is not that color disperses on canvas: this is Vehemence of an artist that speaks fiercely and delicately when the Silence holds the World!!”
Liza Peninon, France
“I love the way you gave us something most precious like hope, dreams… That is such a generous way of expressing yourself, I think that’s why your artworks are so captivating, and touching, they reach our soul…”
Gaya Karapetyan: Recent, Current & Upcoming Exhibitions
- Unity in Variety VII Exhibition, London, June 2017
- Contemporary Art Exhibition, New York, June 2017
- Make America Create Again COCA Show, Seattle, April 2017
- Ligures Prize Exhibition, Lerici, Italy, March 2017
- Contemporary Art Exhibition, Venice Carnival, Italy, February to March, 2017
- Canvas Unbound Exhibition, Vancouver, February 2017
- Natale A Torino Exhibition, Turin, Italy, December 2016 to January 2017
Gaya Karapetyan: Important Shows and Exhibitions
- Art Innsbruck, Austria, 2016
- Biancoscuro Exhibition in Art Parma Fair, Italy, 2016
- Bright Lights at Night Salon Exhibition, Toronto Nuit Blanche Festival, 2016
- Summer Art Prize Finalist Exhibition, London, 2016
- Inaugural AccorsiArte Exhibition in Le Dame Art Gallery, London, 2016
- CanCon 2016 Exhibition, Vancouver, 2016
- Palatine Group Exhibition, Rome, 2016
- 900 and 2000 Modern & Contemporary Art Exhibition, Turin, Italy, 2016
- 35 Live: COCA Members’ Show in Seattle, 2016
- Art Rome Contemporary Exhibition, 2016
- Art Protagonist 2015 International Art Exhibition in Padua, Italy, 2016
- Scope Miami Art Show, The Voice of the Artist Collection, 2015
- Colorida Art Gallery Solo Exhibition in Lisbon, Portugal, 2015
- Rorschach Abstract Art Exhibition, Toronto, 2015
- Liquid Cities New York – International Video Art Limousine Festival, 2015
- Unity in Variety IV Group Exhibition, London, 2015
- Alternative Playground International Art Fair, London, 2015
- Venezia Open Art Exhibition, 2015
- Connect 2 Colour Exhibition, London, 2015
- Gardens Group Exhibition, London, 2015
- Donkey Art Prize Miami Showcase, 2015
- Art Expo Milan, 2015
- The Miami Art Expo, 2015
- Elements Group Exhibition, London, 2015
- Tokyo International Art Fair, 2015
- Spectrum Group Art Exhibition, Toronto, 2015
- Going South in Malaga, Spain, 2015
- Oxford International Art Fair, 2015
- Barcelona International Art Fair, 2014
Gaya Karapetyan: Awards & recognitions
- Biancoscuro International Art Contest 2016 Winner
- Great Art UK Runner-Up Award in International Summer Art Prize Competition, 2016
- Art Protagonist 2015 International Award
- Manhattan Arts International Award of Excellence in Bold Expressions Competition, 2015
- Artmajeur Gold Awards 2015 & 2014
- First Place Winner by Contemporary Art Gallery Online, Abstracts Theme Art Competition, 2015
- Venezia Open Art 2015 Prize Finalist
- Connect 2 Colour International Art Prize Finalist, 2015
- International Donkey Art Prize III Finalist, 2015
Gaya Karapetyan: Press & Publications
Open Gallery from Google Cultural Institute: Gaya-Art-Gallery.culturalspot.org
Artist Interview: https://issuu.com/articulaction/docs/articulaction_art_review_december_2/20
Gaya Artwork Collection: Stretching the Boundaries of Abstract: http://www.blurb.com/books/6385669-gaya-artwork-collection-stretching-the-boundaries